Hello all! It’s been a while since my last post but it’s been quite hectic around here, with many modules asking my full attention but it’s all done now and time to focus more in my passion, my board game.
As per my previous post (It’s all about the Box), I had created a quite rough version of what I would like the box of the board game to look like. Since then, I have made a second, more serious, attempt of creating the box out of thick paper and tape. The results are very satisfying and I do have a better idea of what the box would end up to look like and I am really happy with the results. Here are some photos of the process of creation of “Prototype Box 1.0”:
Of course, I wasn’t expecting perfect result from the 1st try, and I wrote down some notes to help me create an even better 2nd version of the box. I will share them with you in case you want to follow my design:
(In)Sides D1/D2’s width need to be shorter by “the thickness” of the paper: 160mm (- paper thickness [on both sides]) x 110mm
(Out)Sides A1/A2’s width need to be longer by “the thickness” of the paper: 160mm (+ paper thickness [on both sides]) x 80mm
Lid Sides B3/B4/A3/A4’s width need to be longer by “the thickness” of the paper:
A3/A4 160mm (+ paper thickness [on both sides]) x 80mm
B3/B4 200mm (+ paper thickness [on both sides]) x 80mm
*There is a gap where top and bottom parts of the box meet because of the “thickness of the paper”. I need to make either Top Lid’s or Bottom Lid’s height bigger by the “thickness of the paper” e.g. A3/A4 160mm (+ paper thickness [on both sides]) x 80mm (+ paper thickness [on both sides]) & B3/B4 200mm (+ paper thickness [on both sides]) x 80mm (+ paper thickness [on both sides])*
In general, take into account the thickness of the paper, especially if you are working with a considerably thick paper as I am.
I will definitely give it another try, taking into consideration my notes, hoping for a better result.
On another note, I received the updated version of the cards that I had ordered from “Hatch” and they are definitely towards the right path, although I forgot to make clear that I’d like the background of the card to be white, no matter the type of the paper, in my case kraft paper which is brownish, so the result is not ideal as many colours are not readable because of the brown background, especially yellow. Here is a photo of the new batch of cards which I will use for my prototype but update appropriately in the final version:
It’s getting there little by little and I’m so happy about that. Off to make “Prototype Box 2.0”. Talk to you soon!